Tu Lan: Explore the Home of Kong Skull Island Movie
Duration: 1 day Transportation: Trekking
Route: Phong Nha - Tu Lan - Phong Nha
Languages: English Tiếng Việt (View map)
With only one day, you will have the chance to explore Tu Lan Cave System’s untamed jungle & limestone mountain region. This is well-known as the home of the Hollywood blockbuster movie Kong: Skull Island (2017) which is listed as the best war movie of the year by ABC News.
Jordan Vogt-Roberts – the film director of Kong: Skull Island once said: “The world will pay attention because they will see how beautiful this place is; they will travel, discover and fall in love with it like the way that I did”.
Tour Price & Availability:
With your English-speaking guide and local jungle men from the nearby ethnic village of Tan Hoa, you will trek up to 8km through buffalo fields, dense jungle and have an opportunity to swim through an unbelievable river cave.
See the immense formations of Hang Chuot (Rat Cave) before trekking to impressive Hung Ton Cave and To Mo Valley.
You’ll get wet, you’ll get dirty and you’ll enjoy an awesome BBQ beside a stunning waterfall! This is a full day of adventure so be prepared!
This tour is to give you a taste of Tu Lan, but if you really want the ultimate adventure we encourage you to spend the night in the jungle on our Tu Lan Cave Encounter (2 days) or add another night camping in a cave on our Wild Tu Lan Cave Explorer (3 days)!
Tu Lan 1-day Experience
Please make sure that your health is suitable for these activities with ease.
- 9km jungle and mountain trekking, rocky terrain
- Elevation change up to 150m (between valley and top of mountain)
- 50m swimming in caves
- 1 km caving
- Basic trekking experience
- Need to have swimming skill
Note: Be prepared for your shoes to get very wet due to many river crossings!
Adventure Tours staff (cave expert or guide) reserves the right to decline, accept or retain any person as a member of any party at any time without compensation or refund due to safety issue.
Itinerary: Phong Nha – Tan Hoa – To Mo – Tan Hoa – Phong Nha
Start your day with pick-up from your guesthouse in Phong Nha between 7:00am and 7:30am (please be ready!).
You’ll then drive 70 km over the Da Deo Mountain Pass to reach the ethnic minority village of Tan Hoa and OUr Headquarters. You can leave all your luggage at our office in the storage room.
After a safety briefing, checking gear and signing our Release Form, the day adventure begins with a 2 km walk across peanut and buffalo fields to reach the Rao Nan River.
After crossing the river you’ll reach the impressive Hang Chuot (Rat Cave) to explore its massive formations for up to 280m. Return back to the river another way, then trek through Hung Ton Valley to reach Hung Ton Cave. Explore this wild cave by descending a 15 m ladder with a safety rope before swimming 50m through the cave and following an underground river to reach To Mo Valley, where a delicious BBQ lunch will be awaiting you.
After swimming at the waterfall, trek over Hung Ton Mountain (1 km), across Hung Ton Valley (500 m), and another small hill down to Rao Nan River (500 m). You’ll finish the day crossing back over peanut and buffalo fields (2.5 km) to the Oxalis Headquarters, where a cold drink and shower will be awaiting your return.
Depart Tan Hoa at 17:00 and return to Phong Nha at 18:30 and you will be dropped at your guesthouse.
Experience We will Provide
- Caving & safety gear: caving helmet, caving headlight, life jacket, gloves
- Basic canvas trekking boots (only if you do not have your own pair) sizes 36 – 46
- Meals: picnic lunch (day 1)
- Professional English-speaking tour guide and guide safety assistant
- Porter to prepare meals and pump water
- Shared dry box for phones and small cameras (limited availability for larger cameras)
- Water filter and purifier (used only by guide and porters)
- Eco-friendly compost toilet using western toilet seat at lunch site.
- First Aid Kit and Medical Rescue Equipment (application by guides and porters only)
- Secure Storage Facility at Our Headquarters to store all luggage you will not be taking on the trek
You will Need
- 1 long (easy to dry) pants and 1 long sleeved shirt to wear during the trek (quick dry)
- 1 pair of trekking boots/shoes – difficult terrain, good footwear necessary. Gore-Tex/waterproof boots are NOT recommended as they do not drain well (if you prefer your own comfortable pair)
- 1 change of clothes for after the tour
- 1 pair of calf length densely woven socks (not ankle socks!)
- Personal items: mosquito repellent, sunglasses, hat, camera
- Transfer Dong Hoi - Phong Nha or vice versa: US$30/one way/7 seater car or US$35/one way/16 seater car
score from 0 review(s)
The guest reviews are submitted by our customers after their stay at Tu Lan: Explore the Home of Kong Skull Island Movie